Nadi Shodhana is the most commonly practiced pranayama for stress relief. This breathing technique involves inhaling through the left nostril and exhaling through the right; then inhaling through the right nostril and exhaling through the left.
- Curl your index finger and middle finger of the right hand. You need to use only the thumb and the ring finger for this breathing technique.
- Close the left nostril by pressing gently with the ring finger.
- Inhale deeply, slowly and steadily through the right nostril.
- Hold the breath inside for a few seconds.
- Now close the right nostril with your thumb and open your left nostril by relaxing your ring finger. Exhale slowly and steadily.
- Repeat this process with the left nostril.
- This will complete one round of nadi shodhana.
- If you are a beginner, do 10-15 rounds of this pranayama. Increase the rounds as you become seasoned.